Happy Halloween everybody!
I hope that everyone is having a great time celebrating Halloween. For me, some traditions are definitely new to me. This year I wanted to dig in American traditions and to discover further about traditions and fun stuff to do for Halloween. Here's my list of exciting and thrilling stuff to do:
- Visit a Pumpkin Patch: I had so much fun visiting a farm, getting lost in a corn maze, participating in fun games, sitting on hay, and at the end of the day walking out in the field to pick up your very own pumpkin. It was such a retreat! I visited the Marana Pumpkin Patch, close to Tucson.
- Watching Horror Movies and a lot of them! If you didn't watch Stephen King's "It" yet, please do!
- Visit a Haunted House: FUN FUN FUN!!!! Last year I visited the Slaughterhouse in Tucson. It was the first time I went to a Haunted House ever! I didn't know what to expect, but everything I experienced in this Slaughterhouse was beyond any expectations! I loved it, I got definitely scared and I was just amazed by the wonderful craftsmanship of the stages and acting of the participants.
This weekend I was busy to support the students at the University I am teaching at. They organized and build up their very own Slaughterhouse and I was just amazed again! It is so fun to see people getting spooked and how it is fascinating for us to get a thrill! This is really something completely new to me and I think that I will be amazed every year by the effort people put into a Haunted House. The building, the acting and the fun to spook people and the Haunted Houses I visited so far are collecting food and money for charity. This is something where I am really happy that I live in a community where people care for each other and create amazing things for fun and a good cause.
- Costumes: I love creating costumes, coming with something funny up and painting your face. Or to dress up into someone else than you are. It is so exciting and fun. I do enjoy the creativity and freedom we enjoy in this tradition.
- Trick or treating: Ok, I'm too old for trick or treating but giving away candy to kids, or just enjoying the cheer and fun is great!
- Pumpkin Carving: This is creative fun! We do Pumpkin Carvings in Germany, too. But people in the United States take this to the next level. Pumpkin Carving Contests put this creative process almost on a professional level.
I do enjoy Halloween! A day to celebrate the evil, the spooky, the mysteries and the spirits is interesting to me. I think it is the right way to celebrate the good and the bad. The nice things, but also to enjoy things that are scary to us, because it is part of our everyday life.
How do you celebrate Halloween? Did I miss any Halloween traditions? Let me know :)